Joseph Gumbiner

last updated 4/26/2018

Joseph Gumbiner

Rabbi at Temple Emanu-El

Location:
225 North Country Club, Tucson, Arizona, United States
HQ Phone:
(520) 327-4501

Recent News  

Temple Emanu-El - Our History

His successor was Rabbi Joseph Gumbiner.
In response to the growing size of the congregation, Rabbi Gumbiner ensured the creation of a Temple Men's Club, whose first meeting drew 43 men who became the original members; recognized the need to expand Temple's burial capacity by acquiring a third burial area, Block 33; acknowledged that the Temple's growth required the writing of a new Constitution and new By-Laws and accomplished that task; and recognized the need to begin discussion of either enlarging the building on South Stone or building a new Temple Emanu-El. Additionally, a building fund was created. Rabbi Gumbiner surely understood the need; by 1944, Temple Membership had reached 101 families! Leadership in the congregation had concluded that a new building was the most logical choice for the future and was actively studying building plans for a $60,000 to $80,000 new structure at a new location. Despite an active campaign for this proposed new Temple, however, making concrete decisions on the preliminary architectural plans was postponed in 1946, likely influenced by Rabbi Gumbiner's decision to retire the following year. Temple Emanu-El's children coped by utilizing the tiny vestibules as classrooms, and an organ was installed early in 1947, adding an eagerly awaited formal musical component to services. Rabbi Albert T. Bilgray shared the pulpit with Rabbi Gumbiner on May 19, 1947, just ten days after Rabbi Gumbiner had officially submitted his resignation, and Rabbi Bilgray was elected the new Rabbi.

Read More

Browse ZoomInfo’s Directories