Barnes

Location:

11 South Center St.BarnesKansas66933United States View Map

Revenue:

$2.4 Million

Employees:

12

Phone:

(785) 763-4300
More

Description:

Barnes is a small town located on the Central Branch of the Union Pacific R.R. one hundred and seven miles west of Atchison, Kansas, and near the head of North Coon Creek. The Railroad was completed to this point in the latter part of November, 1876, and was extended on to Greenleaf immediately. The first one to build on the town site was Henry Ober, who erected a store building and moved the Maplewood Grange store to this point. Elm Grove Post Office was established in July, 1872. J.R. Ober was the first postmaster. The office was kept on the old Farner place. In January, 1878, Mr. Ober started a store and in March 1878, Elm Grove Post Office was moved into Barnes and the name changed to Barnes Post Office. The town was named after A.S. Barnes who was the railroad surveyor and owned and operated the first lumber yard. Maplewood Grange was organized in the fall of 1874. A Co-operative Grange store was established with E.K. Wolverton as Superintendent. Afterwards, it was moved to the house of J.G. Petty and then to Barnes. In May 1877, the Maplewood Gange built an elevator at a cost of $800.

Read More

Browse ZoomInfo’s Directories