The history of Talladega College
began on November 20, 1865, when two former slaves William Savery
and Thomas Tarrant, both of Talladega
, met in convention with a group of new freedmen in Mobile, Alabama.
...With this as their pledge, Savery and Tarrant, aided by General Wager Swayne of the Freedmen's Bureau, began in earnest to provide a school for the children of former slaves of the community.
This building had been built in 1852-53 with the help of slaves - including Savery