Share This Profile
Share this profile on Facebook.
Link to this profile on LinkedIn.
Tweet this profile on Twitter.
Email a link to this profile.
See other services through which you can share this profile.
This profile  and contains information from public web pages.

Captain William Richard Bligh

Wrong Captain William Richard Bligh?


200 Total References
Web References
Instead, I include two books by ..., 23 April 2014 [cached]
Instead, I include two books by Captain Bligh, with his version of the mutiny.
William Bligh
According to Wikipedia: " Vice Admiral William Bligh, (9 September 1754 - 7 December 1817) was an officer of the British Royal Navy and a colonial administrator. A historic mutiny occurred during his command of HMS Bounty in 1789; Bligh and his loyal men made a remarkable voyage to Timor, after being set adrift in the Bounty's launch by the mutineers. Fifteen years after the Bounty mutiny, he was appointed Governor of New South Wales in Australia, with orders to clean up the corrupt rum trade of the New South Wales Corps, resulting in the so-called Rum Rebellion."
A Narrative of the Mutiny on Board His Majesty's Ship Bounty; and the Subsequent Voyage of Part of the Crew, in the Ship's Boat, from Tofoa, one of the Friendly Islands, to Timor, a Dutch Settlement in the East Indies, (short), Illustrated, by Lieutenant William Bligh, $1.99
A Voyage to the South Sea,undertaken by command of his majesty,for the purpose of conveying the bread-fruit tree to the west indies, in his majesty's ship the Bounty, commanded by Lieutenant William Bligh. Including an account of the mutiny on board the said ship, and the s ubsequent voyage of part of the crew, in the ship's boat, from Tofoa, one of the Friendly Islands, to Timor, a Dutch settlement in the East Indies, Illustrated, by Lieutenant William Bligh, $1.99
Arturo Toscanini, 23 April 2014 [cached]
As was the case with many people with short fuses like Captain William Bligh of Mutiny on the Bounty fame, once the maestro blew off his steam, he would calm down and continue.
early Explorers | Tasmania, Australia | Abel Tasman, James Cook, Banks, Furneaux, William Bligh, George Bass, 1 April 2014 [cached]
William Bligh
William Bligh
William Bligh was also aboard the "Resolution", impressed with his cartography skills and navigational ability, Cook assigned him as Master.
William Bligh, 1754 - 1814 Explorer and Navigator William Bligh, had visited Van Diemen's Land in 1777, with James Cook on the "Resolution".
Bligh, a young navigational officer, had a great sense of location and navigational ability.
In 1788, charting the south-east coast of Van Diemen's Land, Bligh aboard the "H.M.S. Bounty" sailed into Adventure Bay and dropped anchor on the 19th of August 1788, needing fresh water supplies and wood for the ship's fires.
Bligh, found fresh clean water in a gully that was dry on his previous visit with Cook.
Bligh planted seven apple trees a short distance from the shore. The Bounty sailed from Adventure Bay September 4th.1788, headed for Tahiti to take delivery of Bread Fruit plants.
The Bounty mutiny occurred April 28th, 1789, set adrift in a longboat with eighteen others, Bligh, navigated a remarkable 6,400 km to Timor. On returning to England, he was found not guilty of any wrong doing regarding the Bounty mutiny and was promoted to captain of the HMS Providence.
Captain Bligh, returned to Van Diemen's Land anchoring once again in Adventure Bay in February 1792.
William Bligh, remarked, " I saw no signs of any ships having been here, and the trees I marked remained the same as I had left them in 1788". Bligh, with two botanists onboard, planted cress's, celery, acorn and various fruit trees at Adventure Bay.
Bligh, was appointed Governor of New South Wales in 1806, and ordered to break the power of the Rum Corps.
In January 1808 a mutiny took place and Bligh, was arrested, imprisoned and was deposed as Governor.
In 1809, Captain William Bligh, returned to Van Diemen's Land, seeking support to restore him to power.
Biography: William Bligh | Online Information Bank | Research Collections | Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, 1 Mar 2014 [cached]
Biography: William Bligh
William Bligh was born on 9 September 1754 at Plymouth, a son of a Customs officer. He first appeared on a naval muster roll as Captain's Servant on HMS Monmouth at the age of 7. On 27 July 1770, he was entered as an Able Seaman on HMS Hunter - although to all intents and purposes he was being trained as a Midshipman. He was formally entered as a Midshipman on the same ship on 5 September. A year later, he transferred to HMS Crescent and spent three years learning navigation and seamanship. He made several important hydrographic surveys during his training, which were submitted to the Admiralty. After transferring to HMS Ranger, he continued to learn his craft, showing outstanding proficiency.
Captain Clerke in the Discovery assumed command of the expedition, and deputed Bligh to assume the navigation for the remainder of the voyage.
However, on his return to Britain, Bligh was not promoted. He made a visit to the Isle of Man where he had been stationed prior to the voyage and became acquainted with Elizabeth Betham, aged 27. They became engaged and were married on 4 February 1781.
Shortly after their marriage, Bligh was appointed as Master on HMS Belle Poule. In April, the ship took part in an action with a Dutch convoy at Dogger Bank and Bligh's handling of the ship led to an appointment in September to a large ship, HMS Berwick. After serving only a few months on this vessel, he transferred to HMS Princess Amelia and subsequently, in March 1782, he was appointed to HMS Cambridge. In October 1782, the ship left Britain as part of Lord Howe's fleet to relieve Gibraltar from siege by France and Spain. After being paid off in January 1783, Bligh was placed on half pay and took his wife and daughter back to the Isle of Man. Elizabeth's uncle offered him employment in his merchant fleet and for four years, Bligh took command of several vessels in his uncle's fleet.
Bligh was to be the only commissioned officer and had no Marines appointed to the ship. If Bligh had been able to achieve promotion to Post-Captain prior to the voyage, he would have been allocated a junior commissioned officer to extend the officer structure, other than warrant officers and midshipmen.
In essence, the ship was undermanned and in many cases, Bligh did not have much say in who was enlisted. Many were second - or even third - enlistments due to desertions prior to sailing.
Bligh set out from Deptford in October 1787 for Spithead, where he was due to receive his final orders from the Admiralty. They were delayed in arriving and the crew lost three weeks of good sailing weather. They finally departed Portsmouth on 23 December. Bligh's orders were to approach Tahiti from the Cape Horn and head for the West Indies via the Cape of Good Hope. Bligh knew that rounding Cape Horn would be difficult, but even more so with the delay in departure. They reached Cape Horn in March 1788 and the ship made little progress in the face of the fierce weather. Illness in the face of the conditions was inevitable and by April, eight out of the thirteen seamen were ill and not able to attend their duties. By 22 April, Bligh decided to abandon the Horn and set sail to the Cape of Good Hope, arriving on 22 May.
After the incident with Purcell, Bligh kept a strict eye on his men.
Bligh made him publicly sign them, creating greater tensions.
The ship arrived at Matavai Bay at Tahiti on 26 October 1788. The business of taking the breadfruit seedlings began and the ship remained at the island for six months. During this period, the crew were able to enjoy the hot climate, food and company of the natives. However, tensions between Bligh and his crew increased and three of the lower deck tried to desert.
Bligh and eighteen of the crew were set adrift in the launch, with a few provisions. Bligh's skill as a navigator came to the fore. Even without a chart, he was able to navigate the launch 3618 miles to Timor, off the coast of Java. They arrived on 14 June, in a considerably weak state of health. After recuperating, Bligh purchased a schooner to take them back to Britain and eventually arrived on 14 March 1790. After a short illness, he was placed in temporary command of HMS Cambridge, although remained listed as being command of the Bounty. As a normal naval procedure when a commanding officer has lost his ship, Bligh had to face a court martial on 22 October 1790. He was, however, acquitted and was promoted to Captain on 15 December 1790.
In February 1791, Bligh was again appointed to command a second expedition to transfer breadfruit from the Society Islands to the West Indies. This time, Bligh's experiences on the first voyage, led to the ship being better equipped and manned, including a party of Marines. The ship was HMS Providence and was to be accompanied by another, HMS Assistant. As Bligh was now ranked as a Captain, this also ensured an adequate officer structure on board the ships. The ships left Spithead on 3 August 1791. During the first part of the voyage, Bligh became ill and Lieutenant Portlock had to assume command until they reached the Cape of Good Hope. They arrived at Tahiti on 9 April 1792. They remained until July and left with over 2600 breadfruit plants. They arrived at St Helena in December and deposited some of the plants, before continuing on to the West Indies, arriving at St Vincent on 23 January 1793. They continued to Jamaica where they remained until June. After a short delay caused by the outbreak of war with France, they returned to Britain on 7 August and was able to send a cargo of plants to Kew Gardens. However, Bligh returned home to a tarnished reputation since, during his absence, the trial of the Bounty mutineers had taken place and examples of his hot temper had been circulated. He was placed on half pay and remained unemployed for eighteen months. In 1794, he was awarded the Society of Arts gold medal for the discoveries made during the voyage.
In March 1795, he was appointed to HMS Warley which was renamed Calcutta and was serving under Admiral Adam Duncan in the North Sea, based at the Nore. In October 1795, the crew of another ship, HMS Defiance, mutinied. Bligh was ordered to embark 200 troops and take them alongside the mutinous ship in order for the troops to take it over. The threat of the soldiers ended the mutiny. In January 1796 he left this ship to join HMS Director. In 1797, the navy was caught up in two largescale mutinies. The Spithead mutiny erupted in February when the fleet refused to put to sea over grievances of the sailor's pay. This ended with Lord Howe personally intervening in the sailor's plight. However, the discontent had spread to other fleets. Bligh's ship, Director, was at the Nore for a refit in May 1797 when the mutiny spread to that fleet. Each of the fleet's crews issued their demands to their Captain. Demands were not met and the ringleaders of the mutiny, who serving in HMS Sandwich, clashed with Bligh over his refusal to allow the ship's arsenal to be handed over to his crew.
Bligh was sent on a secret mission to Yarmouth to see Admiral Duncan and gather intelligence on the state of the fleet and whether loyal ships could be used to against the mutineers.
Bligh returned to ship on 16 June and persuaded the Admiralty to pardon the majority of the mutineers on the ship. Of those who were excluded from the pardon, none were hanged. Bligh's distinguished conduct continued when he fought at the Battle of Camperdown against the Dutch fleet on 11 October 1797.
Bligh played a full and distinguished part in the conflict and his meticulous reporting of the battle gave a detailed account of the battle.
Bligh continued to command the Director until July 1800. He was put on half pay until 13 March 1801, when he took command of HMS Glatton. He was assigned to the squadron led by Nelson and the fleet set sail for the Dutch coast. Bligh again distinguished himself during the Battle of Copenhagen on 2 April 1801, after which Nelson gave him a glowing testimonial. After the battle, Bligh transferred to HMS Monarch and returned to Britain, undertaking a personal favour for Nelson by taking a set of Copenhagen porcelain to Sir William and Lady Hamilton in London.
Frazier then demanded that Bligh be court-martialled for improper behaviour towards himself and it was convened on 25-26 February 1805.
The court found the charges to be part proved and Bligh was reprimanded but resumed command of the Warrior. Soon after, Bligh was offered the appointment of Governer and Captain-General of New South Wales. In February 1806, he left Britain with his daughter, Mary, as his wife's health was not good to withstand a long sea voyage.
Although the King eventually replaced Bligh as Governor, those who had undertaken to displace him were arrested and returned to Britain for trial. Bligh left for Britain on 12
Scrutiny On the Bounty: Captain ..., 31 Mar 2014 [cached]
Scrutiny On the Bounty: Captain Bligh's Secret Logbook
"No monster on the high seas has equaled the infamous ship captain William Bligh.
Other People with the name "Bligh":
Other ZoomInfo Searches
Accelerate your business with the industry's most comprehensive profiles on business people and companies.
Find business contacts by city, industry and title. Our B2B directory has just-verified and in-depth profiles, plus the market's top tools for searching, targeting and tracking.
Atlanta | Boston | Chicago | Houston | Los Angeles | New York
Browse ZoomInfo's business people directory. Our professional profiles include verified contact information, biography, work history, affiliations and more.
Browse ZoomInfo's company directory. Our company profiles include corporate background information, detailed descriptions, and links to comprehensive employee profiles with verified contact information.