The first plantings were carried out under the direction of William Baxter, Superintendent of the Botanic Garden, and supervised by the Reverend T. H. Hopkins, Fellow of Magdalen College and a Curator of the Parks.
William Baxter, the first Superintendent of the Parks, produced a list of some 400 trees and shrubs in 1888.
This document appears to have been lost, although an earlier list by him of suggestions for planting has recently been rediscovered in the University Archives.
The handbook prepared in 1936 by Mr Harvey Dunkley indicated that many of the trees listed by Baxter
had not survived.
In 1889 the Curators record the printing of a fresh set of labels to coincide with the production of William Baxter's
list and to replace those wantonly destroyed by visitors.