(4 Total References)
The story of Peltier Glass begins in 1859 when Victor Peltier, a glass craftsman, immigrated to the United States from his native France.He moved to Ottawa, Illinois, and worked at the Ottawa Flint Glass and Bottle Company from 1882 to 1886.At this time he established the Novelty Glass Company in Ottawa.This location was already home to several other glass companies, owing to the allure of its deposits of silica, which were among the purest in the nation.Here, Peltier manufactured a variety of glass items, including lamp chimneys, library lamp shades, Pullman car windows, cathedral windows, and more.Most of these items were composed of opalescent glass.
In 1919 the factory burned down.Peltier
rebuilt it and changed the name to the Peltier Glass Company
.Shortly thereafter, Victor's
two sons, Sellers and Joseph, took over the company, along with one of their own sons.
This machinery was actually made in 1920 and used by Nivison-Weiskopf Company
until 1924, when it was probably sold to Peltier
.Records indicate that this little known company produced some 2,700,000 marbles with Miller's machine, though it is currently unknown what these marbles looked like.
In their first full year of marble manufacture, Peltier
produced approximately 33,000,000 marbles.The earliest Peltier marbles were made with the single-stream Miller machinery.Swirls and slags were produced in this manner.
Due to declining sales in later decades, mostly due to the influx of the extremely popular "catseyes" from Japan, Peltier
stopped producing marbles in either the late 1960s or early 1970s, though the company remains in operation today and still produces a variety of glass items.
The first marbles by Peltier
were produced by Miller machinery, and were single-stream slags and swirls. many Peltier marbles, especially early examples, have as-made blow-out holes that appear on the surface of the marble as tiny pits.
most popular marbles are the National Line Rainbos, which were produced as early as the late 1920s and up to the late 1930s.
A very distinctive type of Peerless Patch was called "Picture Marbles" by Peltier
and are usually known to collectors simply as "comics."
produced one specialized banana type in a colored base.Known as a "Root Beer Float," this marble has a dark amber base with a white vane.
SOLID COLOR MARBLES
Like most marble companies, the solid color marbles produced by Peltier
are impossible, for the most part, to differentiate from those of any other manufacturer.
Akron Marbles - The Peltier Glass Company
Victor J. Peltier.
Victor J. Peltier, founder of the opalescent glass works in Ottawa, arrived in the city in 1882, without capital, and secured employment in one of the glass factories then in operation here.
After filling about all the positions in the factory, from the lowest to that of superintendent, he
began the manufacture of novelty glassware at his
To make novelty ware he
needed color in the glass, and then been a series of experiments that finally resulted in the only opalescent glass factory in Illinois.
Victor J. Peltier was born in the province of Loraine, France, in 1833.
After a few Years in the schools of France Mr. Peltier learned the glassblower's trade, which pursuit had been followed by his
father, and after finishing his
was employed in Lyons, France, as a journeyman.
In 1859 he
came to America, and spent twenty years at this business in New York.
Later he was employed in Pittsburgh, Pa., and subsequently at Keota, Iowa, being manager of the Variety Glass Co. at that place.
After a few years in Ottawa his
superior ability was recognized, and he
was made superintendent of the Ottawa Flint Glass & Bottle Co.
, a position which he
filled until the factory was permanently closed.
In 1862 Mr. Peltier
married Miss Mary Peltier, daughter of Francis Peltier.
Following the death of Victor J. Peltier
, in June of 1911, the glass business fell to the management of his
sons, who now continue the business under the name of the Peltier Glass Company
The fine old Peltier home, at No. 540 Fourth Street, is occupied by the widow of Victor J. Peltier
and other members of the family.
The surviving children are Sellers H.; Joseph A. married Maud Cunningham in 1902, who died in 1905, and in 1907 he
married Hannah Nevins; Louise, who married Theodore Zellers, of Ottawa; Emma, who married William F. Zeller; Mary, who married Pied Heiser, of this city; and Katherine, who married Charles Pyle, of Aurora.
Peltier Glass Company
The Peltier Glass Co., manufacturer of opalescent art glass, had its beginning in Ottawa more than a quarter of a century ago, being founded in 1886 by Victor J. Peltier, father of the present managers-Sellers H. Peltier, who is the manager, and Joseph A., the superintendent.
Peltier Glass Company
The Peltier Glass Company was founded in 1886 by Victor J. Peltier as the Novelty Glass Company.
The Peltier Glass Company was ...
The Peltier Glass Company was founded in 1886 by Victor Peltier, originally produced vintage marbles under the name "The Novelty Glass Company".
The name was changed to the Peltier Glass Company in 1919.
Located in Ottawa, Illinois, Peltier is still in operation today, but no longer produces vintage marbles.
Another vintage marble of Peltier's
is a "multi-colour swirl".
More common vintage marbles from Peltier
include the Rainbo.
also produced a type of cat's-eye.