(80 Total References)
BCIT Faculty and Staff Association
Tony Knowles, the President of the Institute has agreed to attend this meeting and speak to the membership on what actions he is taking to get the collective agreement approved.
Industry Takes Direct Action to Help Address Skills Shortage | URBAN DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Dr. Tony Knowles, President, BCIT, congratulated the industry association stating, "Awards make a positive difference to student lives - they are often the extra incentive a student needs to succeed."
Great Northern Way Campus - Board of Directors -
Dr. Tony Knowles, Vice Chair of the BoardPresident, British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Knowles accepts invitation ...
- Knowles accepts invitation attend FSA Enrolment Management Forum
- Tony Knowles
attends FSA Enrolment Management Forum
...Guest: BCIT President, Dr. Tony Knowles
...Tony Knowles answers FSA Executive Committee Enrolment Management Questions Tony Knowles
explained that Enrolment Management is not a new term; it is the process of looking at student enrolment/graduate demand/equipment needs and encompasses a plethora of issues.It is a business process to look at what you're doing and decide if it still makes sense.Tony
gave examples relating to the trades side of the BCIT
did not have the experience to drive this himself.The principles of Enrolment Management are contained in Policy #5004, requiring management, EdCo & BOG approval, and the decisions were made in that spirit.
Consultation and ProcessTony Knowles
wanted to make it clear to the forum attendees that he
would violate process if he
spoke to any questions on consultation and process, and he
would be inviting another grievance.
Prior to answering any questions, Tony Knowles
position that he
cannot have any discussions relating to consultation and process as this may relate to collective bargaining and the grievance procedure and would be bypassing management process.
Question from FSA
Member, Student Services
Why accept applications before decisions were made?This makes a bad impression on prospective students.Tony Knowles
- Program decisions were made to balance our budget, and were good business decisions.
- There is a review process in place for programs.
- Can't comment on what the history is in Plastics specifically.He
is sorry, but there is nothing he
does not know the history of the department and this decision was made in January.
- Yes, this has happened before; however, in this case it is more dramatic.
- If we are going to spend money on a program, we need the maximum number of students.
- Fair comment - Randy Friesen has worked with the schools to provide more specific / targeted activity.
- PEC includes the Deans.
...Tony Knowles - Fair comment
- Each department is different; what works in one area will not necessarily work in another.
- That remains to be seen.
- It may not be apparent, but that is what has been happening.
...Tony Knowles - BCIT does not have a mandate for aboriginal student programming.
- I'll have to take the 5th on this, can't comment.
Comment from FSA
The message we are getting is that in 5 years 15 forestry students will not be worth as much as 4 graduate students. (Comment from another FSA member - with 5 managers!)Tony Knowles
- I don't know how the future will look.
- To date there have not been any requests for increased marketing from your department.
- I will commit that the Marketing Department will set up structured visitations.
- Saying that your colleagues don't have the expertise to move forward is selling them short.
- I'll have to take the 5th on this, no comment.
Comment and questions from FSA
Member, Marketing Management
Nobody talked to his
department about set reductions.The School of Business Dean said, "You'll have difficulty finding our fingerprints on this document".Tony Knowles
- NO WAY!!!
- There needs to be an orderly process designed to assist in different approaches to student expectations.I am hearing there is a management level problem in some schools.FSA
Member - Why were faculty not consulted for ideas this time?Tony Knowles
- Your message has been heard.No further comment.
- Fair comment, but distressing - that's NOT the way it happened!
- You have my commitment to improve the dialogue; I will talk to Randy Friesen.
- You have resources through PD which is in your union agreement.
Amy Fell thanked Dr. Knowles
for attending the forum.
responded that he
appreciated the comments and questions from the FSA
...Nuraney committed to pursuing these concerns with BCIT President Tony Knowles.
...the Board of Governor's 360 degree review of BCIT President Tony Knowles.
friends and sponsors
Dr. Tony Knowles, President of BCIT
...Dr. Tony KnowlesPresident, BCIT