This profile was last updated on
Is this you? Claim your profile.
(2 Total References)
NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source
, Sylvia Swartz - Swartz was the founding member of Local League in Arkansas in 1939.She served as president of the Washington County League, was a Quorum Court and city council member and was assistant mayor of Fayetteville.
Northwest Arkansas Times :: Living
Sylvia Swartz endows UA chair Longtime community volunteer Sylvia Swartz of Fayetteville will provide $1 million to University of Arkansas to fund a chair in the political science department of the J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences.She
established a charitable remainder unitrust that pays income to her
and family members for a period of time before funding the Sylvia G. Swartz Endowed Chair in Political Science.At the time the chair is funded, her
gift is expected to have accumulated more than $1.5 million.Endowed chairs are valuable tools in the recruitment and retention of UA faculty.Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, Swartz earned a degree in liberal arts and a master of arts at University of Cincinnati and became a schoolteacher.She attended University of Michigan, where she was studying for a doctorate in botany.During this time she was active in both the American Association of University Women and in the League of Women Voters.She
future husband, Delbert, at UM, and they married in 1928.
In 1936, they moved to the house near the UA campus where Sylvia Swartz
and a friend were instrumental in asking the City Council to name Razorback Road after the nearby stadium and the university's mascot in the mid-1930s.Among many activities, she was the first woman elected to the Fayetteville City Board of Directors and served as assistant mayor for three years.She
has been honored and recognized many times, beginning in 1926, for her
community service and was recognized in 1999 during Women's History Month.She
was featured several times in local newspapers for this around the time of her
100 th birthday that same year.
NASO and chorus to