By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 07:26 AM PEMBROKE â€" Selectman Terry Finnegan said she wonâ€™t run for re-election this year. Finnegan, who has served on the board for six years, said she doesnâ€™t have enough time to devote to the position. â€œWhoever is in the position, I think, owes it to the town to be able to have a lot of time to devote,â€ she said. â€œI just donâ€™t.â€ Selectman Hilary Wilson has also announced that he will not seek re-election.
He has served on the board for nine years. Two town officials have shown interest in seeking the two available three-year terms on the five-member board of selectmen.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 06:26 AM MARSHFIELD â€" Prosecutors have dropped a second charge of forcible rape against a former Marshfield Fair carnival worker accused of raping two teenage girls. The first charge of forcible rape was dropped in August, days after police charged Jeffrey Witham with raping the 13- and 14-year-old girls.
The case cannot be tried in district court because of the nature of the charges, Bergeron said. Judge Baylor continued the probable cause hearing to Feb. 24. Sydney Schwartz may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 08:30 AM Last update Jan 28, 2009 @ 08:37 AM PEMBROKE â€" The volunteers told police Monday that they believed someone was stealing from the organization. Twenty-four hours later, police arrested Marlene D. Medeiros, the treasurer of the boosters since November, charging her with stealing about $8,000.
Several parents declined to answer questions about the club on Tuesday. Pembroke School Superintendent Frank Hackett did not return phone calls on Tuesday. Chief Ohrenberger said the charges against Medeiros may change if police receive more information. Sydney Schwartz may be reached at email@example.com.
The new fee amount doesnâ€™t apply to renewals. Sydney Schwartz may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pembroke teenager works to help autistic children communicate
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 27, 2009 @ 06:20 AM Last update Jan 27, 2009 @ 06:29 AM PEMBROKE â€" Joe Scoledge hopes to help those who have trouble communicating in emergencies.
Scoledge, 17, a senior at Pembroke High School
, has created cards with feelings, emotions, places and people for police officers and firefighters to use with autistic children and others who are nonverbal or too upset to speak. Scoledge presented the â€œNonverbal Communication Cards,â€ his
Eagle Scout project, to police and fire officials Monday at a program sponsored by the Pembroke Special Education Parent Advisory Council.
They will be placed in the townâ€™s emergency vehicles. â€œI made up cards so autistic people can talk to the first responders,â€ Scoledge said. â€œItâ€™s kind of hard because they canâ€™t concentrate, get stressed out. ...
A lot of the times theyâ€™re nonverbal.â€ Scoledge, whose father is a firefighter, said he
came up with the idea several years ago, after attending a program through the The Autism and Law Enforcement Education Coalition
at the fire station with his
dad. The program, sponsored by the Special Education Parent Advisory Council, provided training to first responders so they were able to recognize situations involving children and adults with autism. The speaker showed attendees a key ring with nonverbal communication cards that first responders used in her
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 24, 2009 @ 01:00 AM MARSHFIELD â€" Max Clary likes to be on stage, talk to people and make them laugh. Last summer, the 15-year-old from Newton commuted to Camp Chuckles, a comedy camp at the Boys & Girls Club
of Marshfield. IF YOU GO Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m. Saturday at Venus II in Brant Rock.Tickets are $20 each and can be purchased at the door.
The tenants for those have not yet been determined, but they could include a bookstore, a gift shop, a high-end wine store, a lawyer and a physical therapist, Last said. Sydney Schwartz may be reached at email@example.com.
Company hired to control weed in Hobomock Pond
By Sydney Schwartz GateHouse News Service Posted Jan 24, 2009 @ 10:58 PM PEMBROKE â€" An aquatic control company plans to treat Hobomock Pond with a chemical herbicide come summer. The state Department
of Conservation and Recreation has awarded Aquatic Control Technology
of Sutton a contract to get rid of the Hydrilla verticillata, the invasive aquatic weed in the pond. The lake management company says it will apply for necessary permits in the next few weeks.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 23, 2009 @ 07:18 AM PEMBROKE â€" The town has become the landlord of the shops at 6 Union St. in Bryantville. Town Administrator Edwin Thorne said the town took ownership of the property, at the intersection of Routes 27 and 36, in September.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 23, 2009 @ 07:12 AM MARSHFIELD â€" The owner of an abandoned gravel operation and wooded area near Grove and Ferry streets in Marshfield wants to give his land to a soccer organization as a site for playing fields. Marshfield Youth Soccer officials said they hope to build two much-needed soccer fields on 10 of the 16 acres that Peter Armstrong wants to donate.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 07:30 AM MARSHFIELD â€" Because of a broken furnace, carbon monoxide accumulated to poisonous levels in a multi-family home Ocean Street on Sunday. Fire officials said an occupant at 1283 Ocean St. notified the fire department of a carbon monoxide alarm just before 8 p.m. Sunday. Firefighters checked the building with testing equipment and got a carbon monoxide reading of 50 parts per million on the first floor, 90 parts per million in the cellar and 30 parts per million on the second floor. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, tasteless and odorless gas.
Any reading over 9 parts per million is a concern and readings over 35 parts per million for more than eight hours are dangerous, Fire Chief Kevin Robinson said. Robinson said firefighters evacuated the building, called the gas company and shut down the boiler. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause dizziness, headaches, fatigue and death. The 2005 death of a 7-year-old Plymouth girl, Nicole Garofal, led to the stateâ€™s passage of Nicoleâ€™s Law, which requires carbon monoxide detectors in all homes. Nicole died of carbon monoxide poisoning after a blizzard plugged a furnace vent pipe at her home. Landlords are responsible for installing and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors in rental housing. Robinson said residents should call the fire department if a carbon monoxide alarm goes off. â€œThis event in a multiple-family dwelling emphasizes the need for all residents to comply with Nicoleâ€™s Law and install CO detectors in their homes for the protection of their families,â€ Robinson said in a press release. The building at 1283 Ocean St. is owned by William and Joan Doyle. Reach Sydney Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Sydney Schwartz The Patriot Ledger