says several of his
clients will be affected by a recent decision in relation to Workers Compensation.
Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law at Lamrocks Solicitors in Penrith, Steve Groves, says several of his clients are among thousands in NSW that have been left in the lurch after a recent ruling in a matter of lump sum Workers Compensation payments that was put before the Court of Appeal.
In a letter to Mike Baird's office, Mr Groves
explains that up until the recent decision in the case, the provision of the amendment was interpreted to mean that workers injured prior to June 19, 2012, had 'one more go' to claim lump sum compensation for permanent impairments.
"The problem here is the unfairness of the situation for the people who were injured before June 19, 2012; who had been paid out for a claim they made and were told that they could make further claims if any further treatment was needed," Mr Groves
"The new system allows those who are injured after 2012 to have their one go but at a time that suits them meaning they have the opportunity to wait.
"A group of my clients were all injured before the new amendment but were told at the time that they could return to 'top up' meaning if they had known it would be their last chance, they would have waited just like people are now - the Government changed the rules."
One of Mr Groves'
clients, David Dwyer, has expressed his frustrations.
said the problem is that his
clients' conditions have deteriorated but they are unable to receive support that they might have received from claiming a lump sum compensation.