The Blum House was designed by architect Sigmund F. Blum for himself and his family.
Born in New Rochelle, New York, Blum attended Columbia University and then the University of Illinois where he received his architecture degree in 1951.
joined Smith, Hinchman and Grylls Associates Inc.
(SHG) in 1959 as chief designer and stayed with the firm until 1971 at which time he
own practice with Harutun Vaporciyan and Harold Mitch.
While with SHG
was responsible for the design of several other buildings documented as part of the Michigan Modern Project including the First Federal Savings and Loan Building
, the University of Michigan Dental School
, and the James H. Whiting Auditorium
at the Flint Cultural Center