Share This Profile
Share this profile on Facebook.
Link to this profile on LinkedIn.
Tweet this profile on Twitter.
Email a link to this profile.
See other services through which you can share this profile.
This profile was last updated on 2/12/14  and contains information from public web pages and contributions from the ZoomInfo community.

Chief

Phone: (812) ***-****  HQ Phone
Greensburg Fire Department
528 N. Ireland Street
Greensburg, Indiana 47240
United States

Company Description: The Greensburg Fire Department is dedicated to providing public safety services to our citizens that result in improved quality of life and peace of mind. As a...   more
Background

Employment History

197 Total References
Web References
GFD Chief Scott Chasteen ...
www.greensburgdailynews.com, 17 Nov 2013 [cached]
GFD Chief Scott Chasteen said there were large amounts of smoke, but no flames.
...
"It looked much worse than it was," GFD Fire Chief Scott Chasteen said. "There was a lot of smoke, but no actual flames."
The close call caused by a seemingly harmless action makes it seem wise to review fire and heat safety tips for the winter. The Daily News spoke with Chief Chasteen on Friday to learn ways to stay warm and safe during the cold weather.
To begin, Chasteen emphasized the danger of emptying ashtrays into trash cans because cigarette butts can stay hot for a long time.
"It's best to use a metal container with nothing combustible inside, preferably sand or gravel," he said.
Chasteen advised having one's furnace inspected annually near the beginning of the cold weather season. A trained professional can inspect the heating equipment and make sure everything is in working order and is operating properly, reducing the possibility of the furnace causing a fire. All flammable material should be stored a safe distance away from the furnace, water heater and other appliances.
Alternative heating devices, like fireplaces and wood stoves should have the flues inspected to be certain they are clean of creosote, or soot, and that there are no cracks in the protective liners, according to Chasteen. Creosote can build up inside the flue and eventually catch fire. Because creosote burns extremely hot, it can cause cracks in the liner and superheated creosote can leak through cracks, increasing the risk of fire spreading by a great deal.
Chasteen said people using space heaters to keep their homes warm should make sure the heater is listed with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and that it is approved for use inside a residence. Space heaters should be kept away from all walls, curtains, furniture and anything combustible. Safety settings that turn the heater off if it is knocked over should be a priority as well. For those that use space heaters in the bedroom, please make certain it is placed far enough away from the bed that blankets will not cover the heater if they fall off the bed.
For electronic heat sources, Chasteen advised checking to make sure the electrical system is equipped to sustain power to the heater. Proper wiring and voltage are important. The fire chief said if a heater is plugged in and trips a breaker or blows a fuse, it is doing what it is supposed to do.
"If you plug it in and it kicks off, unplug a few things to reduce the load on the circuit. If it continues, leave it off because it's not safe," Chasteen said.
Chief Chasteen stressed the importance of working smoke detectors. He advised that any smoke detector over 10 years old should be replaced. According to Chasteen, batteries should be replaced twice a year, adding that it is easier to remember to change them when clocks change with Daylight Savings Time in the spring and fall.
"They're your first line of defense if anything happens," Chasteen said. "And if you're using any kind of alternative heat source that may release carbon monoxide, you should have a carbon monoxide detector."
Chasteen's final piece of advice was to have an up-to-date escape plan for one's family. Everyone in the home should participate in exit drills. While planning an escape route, Chasteen advised planning two ways to escape every room, as well as designating a single safe meeting place if the home needs to be evacuated.
Greensburg Fire Chief ...
greensburgdailynews.com, 15 Oct 2013 [cached]
Greensburg Fire Chief Scott Chasteen told the Daily News two westbound semis on I-74 collided, sending one off the north side of the interstate at about the 130 ½ mile marker, near Frontage Road. The cab of the truck caught fire and was destroyed by flames during the course of the accident. The cab was briefly airborne before coming to rest in a ditch, a press release from the Decatur County Sheriff's Department noted Tuesday.
EMS personnel found the driver outside of the cab. Chief Chasteen said it could not be determined whether the driver crawled from the wreckage or had been ejected.
...
The second semi was also damaged in the collision and had to be removed from the scene, Chasteen said.
...
Chasteen said the Greensburg Fire Department (GFD) had the fire mostly extinguished within about 10 minutes of their arrival on scene.
...
A portion of I-74 was shut down as fire crews battled the blaze, Chasteen said.
Indiana Fire Chiefs Association - Contact
indfirechiefs.org, 3 April 2014 [cached]
Chief Scott Chasteen
Indiana Fire Chiefs Association - Contact
indfirechiefs.org, 3 Sept 2009 [cached]
Chief Scott Chasteen Board Chairman 812-663-8671 812-663-4964
According to Greensburg Fire Chief ...
www.greensburgdailynews.com, 8 Mar 2010 [cached]
According to Greensburg Fire Chief Scott Chasteen, bricks began to fall from the top of the Washington Street side to the sidewalk below around 2:30 in the afternoon. Chasteen closed down the street and contacted the building owner, Randall Hall, as well as a structural engineer to inspect the integrity of the building.
...
Chasteen said he was unsure what caused the bricks to fall or the status of the building but his department was not taking any chances. Working with the building manager, the fire department evacuated the building, which houses apartments on the second floor but is vacant otherwise. Chasteen said the evacuation was precautionary and many of the building's tenants were unhappy about vacating their apartments on such short notice.
"Some people didn't like it. I'd rather inconvenience someone any day to keep them from getting hurt," Chasteen said.
A structural engineer from Welsh Engineering arrived around 4:30 p.m. Saturday to inspect the building. With help of Ladder 6, he determined the damage was cosmetic, Chasteen noted. The engineer signed a waiver, which allowed residents to return to the building in the evening. However, the street remains closed. Chasteen said the building will be re-evaluated Monday morning and Street Commissioner Mark Klosterkemper will decide whether to re-open Washington Street or not.
...
The city will continue to work with Hall and his engineers on a schedule of repairs and plans for the building, Chasteen noted.
Other People with the name "Chasteen":
Other ZoomInfo Searches
Accelerate your business with the industry's most comprehensive profiles on business people and companies.
Find business contacts by city, industry and title. Our B2B directory has just-verified and in-depth profiles, plus the market's top tools for searching, targeting and tracking.
Atlanta | Boston | Chicago | Houston | Los Angeles | New York
Browse ZoomInfo's business people directory. Our professional profiles include verified contact information, biography, work history, affiliations and more.
Browse ZoomInfo's company directory. Our company profiles include corporate background information, detailed descriptions, and links to comprehensive employee profiles with verified contact information.