This profile was last updated on .
Is this you? Claim your profile.
1141 E. Lebanon Rd
Calvary Church is not just another church. We began as a small group of ordinary people in Edna Gooden's kitchen sharing a common goal to know Jesus and share His life transforming love with Kent County. That love has touched hundreds to thousands as we h...
Find other employees at this company (257)
(199 Total References)
School Board | We Are CCA |
Pastor Roland Coon - Lead Pastor Calvary Assembly of God
CCA School Board Chairman
Pastor Coon was born and raised in Michigan.
After, graduating from Northeast Bible Institute (now Vally Forge Christian College), he started his pastoral career as a youth pastor in First Assembly of God in Newark, Delaware in 1971.
He became the Senior Pastor at Olivet Assembly of God in Olivet, Michigan in the mid 1970's and then Senior Pastor at Calvary Assembly of God in Dover, DE in October 1979.
passion for the spiritual wellbeing of this community is evident by the growth he
has seen from 60 parishoners in 1979 to the 1600 parishoners he
serves in 2014.
Calvary Assembly of God / About Us / Staff
In Olivet, Michigan Roland and ...
In Olivet, Michigan Roland and Angela Coon ministered in their first church.
While ministering in Michigan, Roland
agreed to consider being a candidate for a pastoral opening.
Not even knowing the location, he
A short time later, he
found out that the opening was in Dover, Delaware.
While on vacation, Roland
and Angela passed through Dover and felt a moving of the Holy Spirit.
On Sunday October 14, 1979, Pastor Roland Coon assumed the position of senior pastor.
The church continued to meet at the Governors Avenue location for two years and was outgrowing the facilities and began using the Dentist's office and Marion Dance Studio
(next to the church) for extra Sunday School classes.
The Lord impressed upon Pastor Coon
needed to "lengthen the cords and strengthen the stakes (Isaiah 54:2)" in getting ready for even more growth.
Leadership Training for every ministry was developed and implemented, and a vision for a larger building to better accommodate the needs of a growing congregation was taking form.
The new building proposal would include three phases.
The first phase would be a multi-purpose building, which would seat a maximum of 350 people for services and allow for other activities.
Classrooms, offices, a kitchen, nursery, and restrooms were also included in phase one.
On August 28, 1983, Pastor Coon
and the congregation held a ground breaking ceremony with the intentions of starting the actual construction as soon as financing arrangements were complete.
Despite the chilly winter air, construction remained on schedule through early 1988, thanks in part to good weather and the hard work of the members, including Pastor Coon