Robert Garland Knox Deering
job as an investigator with Dun & Bradstreet
in Fort Worth early in the Depression.
When the opportunity to purchase The Burleson News
Uncle John Searcy about a partnership.
In the harsh winter of 1931, Deering
family piled into their old car and moved to Burleson
's eldest son Robert
, then a teenager, helped clean out the building, which he
described as a "very smelly" feed store (Deering).
After school, Deering's son Robert
swept the shop (On Balance).
offered to buy his
uncle's share and go it alone.
made significant modifications to the building, removing a freight dock and cutting a large hole at the back of the structure to accommodate his
Partitions were erected to form offices and a storeroom.
The attractive double-doors letting visitors into the building were replaced with a single door and several windows were covered over with brick or significantly reduced in size.
Above the entrance, Deering
painted "Burleson News
Life came to abrupt halt for R.G.K. Deering when his
wife Elizabeth died of cancer in 1940.
Elizabeth assisted at the newspaper, was a member of the Eumathian Club
, and was described as possessing a beautiful singing voice.
took solace in their children, Robert
(Bob), Winifred, and William (Bill).
In the years ahead, Deering's son Robert left for Texas A & M University.
During World War II, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps, serving as a glider pilot in Europe.
The newspaper building finally belonged to Deering
In 1948, he
married Hazel Moore of Fort Worth.
Before long, daughters Sharian and Alicia arrived.
Like Elizabeth, Hazel became an assistant editor and helped in the shop (Deering).
reinvented itself following World War II, Deering
modernized the News
with the purchase of a Miehle 00 Book Press
and a Model 14 Mergenthaler Linotype.
Since its modest beginning, the News
had been set by hand in a tedious process which had changed little in four-hundred years.
The press and Linotype allowed Deering
to efficiently publish a cleaner, larger paper and diversify his
also began publishing a short column of news from the nearby town of Crowley.