Robert Bishop | more
Reverend Robert H. Bishop
IT WAS DURING the pastorate of Robert H. Bishop
who never got over his
Scotch tongue, when some of the ladies had stood too long for the pastor he
said, "Sit doon, sit doon, we have seen your new goons long enough."
rubbed elbows with many influential men of his
Distinguished faculty that Bishop
served with while at Transylvania
: Served 1803-1814
was a man of large attainments and very varied knowledge.
lectures in history are remembered as well for their wide information as for their keen appreciation of the characteristics of mankind."
- Jefferson Davis, student of Robert Bishop while at Transylvania University.
- Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States, student of Robert Bishop while at Miami University.
Robert Hamilton Bishop, son of William Bishop and his wife Margaret Hamilton, was born in a small community in Scotland.
Other Milestones in the life of Robert Bishop:
- An early sympathizer of the plight of black slaves.
In 1815, he
organized a Negro school at Pisgah
, and in 1816 he
opened a school for Negro girls at Transylvania
- After leaving Ebenezer Reverend Bishop organized the Second Presbyterian Church of Lexington and served as a minister in Versailles.
- Bishop served as acting president of Transylvania University from 1816-1818.
- Became first President of Miami University
in Ohio in 1824.
- In 1845 he
became headmaster of Farmer's College
in Pleasant Hill, Ohio.
- Dr. Bishop was a voluminous writer.
chief works were: An Apology for Calvinism, 1804: Elements of Logic, 1833: Sketches of the Philosophy of the Bible, 1833; The Western Peacemaker, 1839.