In 1826, Richard Oliver became the town's first postmaster.
The town was renamed Oliver's Springs in his
The town's name was briefly changed to Poplar Springs, and then to Oliver Springs
Oliver provided mail service from his 35-room mansion, which also served as an inn.
was the first to develop the commercial potential of the mineral springs.
would transport his
guests between the springs and the inn.
During the Civil War, the inn was used as a hospital by both sides.
Find out more history at the wikipedia link to the left.