The estate was then sold to Richard Neave
, a wealthy London merchant.
son, Richard Neave
, entered into partnership with his
uncle, Thomas Truman Jnr, as a West Indies merchant.
During the early 1740s, they hired and purchased several ships to carry general merchandise to the West Indies and America.
The Glasgow was purchased in 1746, to trade out of London to Sierra Leone and America.
owned several plantations in the West Indies, Nevis, Leeward Islands and Montserrat.
It was a very prosperous partnership.
Having made his fortune, Richard Neave, as did many of his contemporaries, turned away from trade to the land, to become an aspiring member of the landed gentry.
To be accepted into Society, one's fortune and income had to be derived from the ownership of land; to earn an income from trade was not acceptable.
followed the practice of many rich merchants, who after making their fortunes in India or the Indies, renounced trade, making the transition from merchant to landed gentleman, by purchasing a country seat and estates.
The first stage in Richard Neave's
transition from merchant to country gentleman was to buy Dagnams; the second stage was the purchase of large amounts of land, a policy continued by his son, Thomas.
Richard Neave still kept his connections in the City, he was the Deputy Governor of the Bank of England from 1781-1783 and Governor from 1783-1785.
was created Baronet in 1795, possibly for his
services during the Gordon Riots of 1780.
was created Sheriff of Essex
In the early part of the Napoleonic Wars, he became part owner of the privateers 'Glatton' and 'Royal Duke' 1796.
The third Baronet was Sir Richard Digby Neave
, grandson of Sir Richard and son of Sir Thomas Neave.
When the farm was purchased by Sir Richard Neave
in 1849, it consisted of 63 acres and to this was added the land of Hungerdown Farm, which had been part of the manor of Gooshays, prior to 1829.
was purchased by Sir Richard Neave
Spice Pits Farm was sold to Sir Richard Neave
by a Mr. Rand in 1854.
Several other smallholdings at Noak Hill
were added to the Neave estates by Sir Thomas and Sir Richard Neave