(9 Total References)
Telikom PNG managing director Noel Mobiha revealed this last Friday to landowners at Tamavatur in Toma/Vunadidir Local-Level Government area in Gazelle District, East New Britain, where a major repeater station is located.The landowners had petitioned the phone company about their benefits.Mr Mobiha told the landowner representatives that his management would be presenting a policy paper to the Telikom board, in which land issues and benefits to landowners would be discussed.He told them that among other things, his management was seeking management approval for increases in rates payment to landowners of the repeater stations throughout the country including Tamavatur.He said the payment would depend on the repeater station's size and capacity, adding that the Tamavatur landowners' claims for benefit was important because the repeater station is one of the biggest in the region and the country.
MP achieves projectsPOMIO MP Paul Tiensten has achieved the five planned projects for his
district which he
revealed last November.
Pacific Islands: PINA and Pacific
Telikom PNG acting managing director Noel Mobiha confirmed yesterday that the cable, which runs through the Coral Sea, collapsed last week, and was reported to Telikom last Thursday by Australian authorities. Mr Mobiha
said Telikom engineers were working around the clock to fix the fault.
After a 17 hour loss, Telikom
was able to switch all telecommunications through satellite. Mr Mobiha
switched all its telecommunications abroad to the Panam Sat in Hong Kong which then transmitted all the PNG traffic to Australia and then to rest of the world.
Pacific Islands: PINA and Pacific
Senior staff said Noel Mobiha, the chief of Pacific Mobile Communication (PMC) Co Ltd, the wholly owned Telikom subsidiary which operates the rapidly spreading mobile phone network, will be out of action until at least the end of the year.He had reportedly suffered a heart attack and was recuperating from surgery.
Uniting International Mission - 12th January 2006
Mr Mobiha said the equipment had arrived and once staff training was completed, Rabaul and Kokopo would be the first to be connected before the system is introduced to other provinces in the New Guinea islands region.Mr Mobiha was speaking to representatives of business houses in Kokopo during a recent visit.He
said they were also addressing the constant communication problems experienced in the province by stabilising transmissions at mountain tops including Tamavatur repeater station and provide enough space for telephone lines out of the province to sort out poor receptions.He
said Telikom technicians based in Rabaul were working on overloading on main telephone links out of the province to ease the problems associated with international dialing, internet and faxes.
Mobile service in ENB delayed (Post-Courier 12/1/06)THE delay in extending mobile phone services to East New Britain has been attributed to a new seller of equipment being obtained overseas.Telikom acting managing director Noel Mobiha revealed this last Friday to Chamber of Commerce members at the Hamamas Hotel in Rabaul.He
said the people in the province had been expecting mobile telephones late last year, however Pacific Mobile Communications, who were in charge of the installations, could not go ahead as some equipment was still being obtained from overseas.Mr Mobiha, formerly the managing director for Pacific Mobile Communications, the subsidiary company now being merged into PNG Telikom, said the equipment had been sent to Port Moresby and he was awaiting staff training in China.He
said the staff undergoing that training would install the mobile phone service in the province this year."Mobile phones will be introduced into East New Britain this year," Mr Mobiha
said Rabaul and Kokopo would be the first to get connected in the New Guinea Islands region and the service would later be extended to Kavieng, Kimbe and Bougainville.Mr Mobiha
said Telikom PNG was seeking permission for satellite capacity through GSM traffic to allow for users in the province.
Telikom PNG acting managing director Noel Mobiha said the cable that runs between Cairns and Port Moresby is now out of operation.The cable was commissioned in 1976 and had gone past its use-by date because its decommissioning was supposed to have been in 2001."It ceased to operate.We don't want to call it terminated at this point.It's still workable and our restoration team are moving very fast to set it up," he said.The cable "went sick" early on Friday at about 12.10am but Telikom's restoration team got to work on it and by 10am, they started shifting all the circuits.He said by 5pm, all the circuits that were riding on the cable were shifted to a satellite.Mr Mobiha said the only problem that they now faced was a 30-voice call link that was not shifted to the satellite.He said Telikom was not able to shift it because there was no space available on the satellite that they were working on and this could take a week.Mr Mobiha said the public would find congestion on voice dial-ups, but the data and internet were not affected.Mr Mobiha said the APNG cable that runs on the bottom of the ocean was the one working before the outage.After the outage all the circuits were put through the satellite to Honk Kong and the link comes back from Hong Kong to Sydney, Australia.Mr Mobiha said in the second half of the year, a cable running from Sydney to Guam will be rolled out on a ship to the back of Solomon Islands and unrolled back out into Port Moresby and it will be the new cable system of Telikom.He said Telikom PNG would be opening a landing into the United States where it would give internet access.