(July 8, 2010, Savannah, Georgia) - A three judge panel of the Georgia Court of Appeals in Atlanta has unanimously affirmed Superior Court Judge Michael L. Karpf's October 27, 2009 ruling in favor of the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia.
The appellate court voted to support Judge Karpf's ruling that the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia is the rightful owner of the historic Christ Church building on Johnson Square and other Church assets.
The Episcopal Church
, the Diocese of Georgia
and Christ Church Episcopal
originally filed a lawsuit after the breakaway congregation voted to align with the Province of Uganda in September 2007 but refused to vacate the church property.
21-page ruling in favor of the Episcopal Church
held that Christ Church Episcopal
was entitled to immediate possession of all church property.
The breakaway congregation subsequently appealed that decision.
In affirming Judge Karpf's decision on all counts, the Court of Appeals noted Christ Church's longstanding affiliation with the Episcopal Church including its leadership in forming the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia in 1823.