About | Free Trial

Last Update


This profile was last updated on // .

Is this you? Claim your profile.

Background Information

Employment History

Active Bay

Active Bay

International Cyclist Union foundation Arc-en-Ciel

Web References (4 Total References)

.:. procycling .:.

www.procycling.com [cached]

The turmoil that has affected the Liberty Seguros team this season has increased with the announcement on Tuesday evening by Manuel Piñera that he is quitting management company that owns the team.Piñera, president of the Active Bay that owns the team and one of the most widely respected businessmen within cycling, made the decision "without there being the least possibility of going back on it".

Although Piñera refused to explain the reasons behind his decision, the Spanish press has reported in recent days that he had wanted Liberty Seguros directeur sportif Manolo Saiz to move into a more managerial role within the team, a move which it seems Saiz has refused to accept.
"I am going because there are things happening that I'm not in agreement with and that I can't change, even as president of the team and the majority share holder in the [Active Bay] company.There are clauses in the contract that prevent me from taking action," said Piñera, who is one of Spain's wealthiest people and has a long-time interest in cycling through his previous ownership of the DYC distillery in Madrid.
Piñera has made made clear, most notably following the positive test for Roberto Heras at this year's Vuelta, that he does not believe that responsibility for positive tests rests solely with the rider.On previous occasions he has said that other team members such as the director, the doctor and even the president should resign in such cases.Asked if his resignation was related to this philosophy, he responded: "Of course."
Active Bay have yet to take any action against any other member of the Liberty Seguros team following the Heras furore.Piñera was believed to have been pushing for Saiz to be moved upstairs into a more hands-off role, with a new director being brought in to direct the team on the road.
Piñera owns 56% of the shares in Active Bay, while Saiz and team manager Pablo Anton share the other 44%.
Piñera played a crucial part in persuading Liberty Seguros into taking ONCE's place as the main sponsor of Saiz's highly successful team three years ago.
There as some good news for the team, though, as Piñera stated "the sponsorship will continue.

Team 2004 :: Liberty Seguros Team

www.libertysegurosteam.com [cached]

Manuel Piñera is one of the main reasons why the Liberty Seguros cycling team is a reality today.It was he who contacted Tom Ramey, Chairman of Liberty International, when he expressed an interest for the then Once Eroski.

Manuel has always been closely related to the world of cycling through the different companies where he has been the direct sponsor of cycling teams and races.
He's currently chairman of Active Bay, the team managing Liberty Seguros Team and as such chairman of the Liberty Seguros cycling team, he is chairman of the International Cyclist Union foundation Arc-en-Ciel.

News of teams & riders - December 2005

www.cycling4all.com [cached]

Manuel Piñera, president of Active Bay, the company behind the Spanish Liberty Seguros team, has announced his resignation yesterday.He disagrees with sport director Manolo Saiz about the way, the management treated the doping case of Roberto Heras Hernandez.Piñera will therefore sell his shares of the company (56 percent) to the other two shareholders, Manolo Saiz and Pablo Antón.

.:. procycling .:.

www.procycling.com [cached]

Manuel Piñera, president of the company that owns the Liberty team, admits his concerns for the team's future but states Roberto Heras is innocent until confirmed otherwise.

Manuel Piñera, president of the Active Bay company that owns the Liberty team, admitted when contacted by respected Spanish daily El Pais that he was concerned about the future of the team, which is backed by a Boston-based insurance company."I know that we are playing with our continued sponsorship," admitted Piñera.
Piñera did say he was hanging on to the hope that a mistake might have been made in the testing process.

Similar Profiles

Other People with this Name

Other people with the name Piñera

Noel Pinera
Ricoh Americas Corporation

Berenice Piñera
Mexicom Logistics

Jackie Pinera
Group LX

Fernando Pinera
SmartEquip , Inc.

Alex Pinera
Florida Turbine Technologies Inc

Browse ZoomInfo's Business Contact Directory by City

Browse ZoomInfo's
Business People Directory

Browse ZoomInfo's
Advanced Company Directory