The Georgia Emergency Management Agency is promoting Winter Weather Awareness Week through Friday and Lisa Newman, public information officer with GEMA, explained while having a carbon monoxide detector at one's home or business is the best method of detecting a leak, there are ways to help prevent leaks during winter months.
"... When it gets cold, people tend to bring portable generators, camp stoves and grills into the home, so we encourage everybody to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide," Newman
"... Don't bring any portable generators, camp stoves or grills into your home.
They should only be used outside and kept at least 20 feet from windows, doors and vents."
added, "Particularly if there's a power outage and people no longer have heat, they tend to go ahead and bring in these portable generators or camp stoves or grills into their home and you never do that."
Other methods of preventing carbon monoxide leaks, Newman
said, include making sure hot water heater and heating systems are inspected annually by a professional as well as making sure gas appliances are installed, adjusted and functioning properly.
explained the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea and vomiting.
"Carbon monoxide falls under the umbrella of 'hazardous materials,'" Newman