About | Free Trial

Last Update

2013-07-26T00:00:00.000Z

This profile was last updated on . .

Is this you? Claim your profile.

Wrong Leroy Merkel?

Mr. Leroy Merkel Jr.

Director

Food Service

Direct Phone: (610) ***-**** ext. ***       

Food Service

Background Information

Employment History

Food Service Director
Kutztown Area School District

Web References (6 Total References)


Kutztown

public.berksiu.org [cached]

Leroy Merkel, Jr., Director of Food Service - 610-683-7346 Ext. 120


District Administration - Kutztown Area School District

web.kasd.org [cached]

Mr. Leroy Merkel, Food Service Director (610) 683-7361 ext. 120


In other business, Leroy ...

readingeagle.com [cached]

In other business, Leroy Merkel, director of food services, discussed the success of the Community Eligibility Program, which is part of the federal Healthy Hunger-free Kids Act.

...
The state pays for 95.1 percent of the meals, while the district is successfully covering the remaining 4.9 percent of the cost with the sale of a la carte items like cookies and bottles of water, Merkel said.
"The program is working in terms of the financial piece and the participation piece," he said.
Board President Judyth Zahora wanted to know how the district could increase student participation even further. Merkel said he and his team would continue to improve menu choices so there's always something kids want to eat.


Leroy Merkel, director of ...

readingeagle.com [cached]

Leroy Merkel, director of food services for Pottstown, said the district was approved for the new meal eligibility guidelines this month, after providing the count of its free and reduced lunch population in March.

The government looked at schools where 40 percent or more of the student body met the income qualifications for funded meals, Merkel said.
He expects the school will serve between 8 and 10 percent more meals now that they're free to all students.
"It's a game changer because some students are not identified as eligible for the free and reduced lunch program for a number of reasons," Merkel said.
...
Merkel anticipates that may go up slightly this year. The district will cover the remaining 5 percent of the cost by selling a la carte items, like when a student buys a bottle of water or a cookie.
At the end of each month, he will submit to the state the number of meals provided by the district. He said he usually sees the money in the school's account within seven to 10 days.
The program offering free meals for all students is guaranteed to run at Pottstown for four years. Merkel said the district could opt out after that, but it's not likely it would want to.


Leroy Merkel, director of ...

www.pottsmerc.com [cached]

Leroy Merkel, director of food services for the district, said the district will receive a reimbursement from the government for 95 percent of the cost of the lunches.

The district will get reimbursed at a price of $3.05 per meal.
The remaining 5 percent of the cost will be covered by the cost of the a la carte food, he said.
Merkel explained that the free lunches apply to the meal as menued. So if a student just wants a piece of pizza, or a water or a soft pretzel and that happens mostly at the secondary level then they have to pay for that and that should more than cover the remaining costs, he said.
The meals on the menu comply with the new federal regulations to make school means more nutritious.
The 2010 re-authorization of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act also significantly tightened the nutritional requirements for the school lunches, Merkel said.
For example, the K-8 lunch menu has to be between 600 and 650 calories and it has minimums and maximums for grains and proteins as well, Merkel said.
Its all aimed at combating childhood obesity, said Merkel.
The district has been preparing for the change, Merkel said, particularly given that in the seven or eight states where this program was piloted, schools reported seeing a 25 percent increase in students coming in for breakfast and a 13 percent increase of those getting lunch.
Our numbers were already on the high side already, so I would guess were going to see an increase of between 8-to-10 percent, he said.
Even with that increase, the district is prepared for the start of the program at the start of school, on Sept. 2, Merkel said.
Were ready to go, he said.

Similar Profiles

Other People with this Name

Other people with the name Merkel

Lisa Merkel
Lietz Elementary School

Steve Merkel
Tegile Systems Inc

Elizabeth Merkel
Medtronic , Inc.

Linda Merkel
Envision Pharma Ltd

Michelle Merkel
Michles and Booth P.A

Browse ZoomInfo's Business Contact Directory by City

Browse ZoomInfo's
Business People Directory

Browse ZoomInfo's
Advanced Company Directory