by Klaus Ruthenberg
Between 1917 and 1919 he was assistant at the Deutsche Technische Hochschule Prag, then he went as Extraordinarius (associate professor) to Hamburg.
In the following, he
taught at the universities of Berlin (1922-1929) and Königsberg (until 1933).
was a Protestant, his
parents had been of Jewish faith.
This fact and his
rejection of Hitler's
politics led him to the decision not to return from a lecture tour in England.
Until 1939, he taught as a Guest Lecturer at the Imperial College of Science and Technology and the University of London, where he was appointed Reader of Atomic Chemistry in 1938.
then was called to the University of Durham
retirement in 1953.
During Word War II, he was head of the chemistry division of the Joint British-Canadian Atomic Energy Team in Montreal (1943-1945).
Keeping his British citizenship, he returned to Germany in 1953 to become Director at the Max Planck Institute of Chemistry at Mainz.
His research interests were widespread: he began as an organic chemist but changed to radiochemistry early.
Copyright Ó1997 by HYLE
and Klaus Ruthenberg