That successor was Auxiliary Bishop John Grellinger.
Bishop John Grellinger's
curiosity was piqued, but it wasn't until 1976 that he
began an earnest search for Father Pernin's relic.
The trail led from Marinette, to Holy Cross Parish
in Kaukauna, to St. James Parish in Amherst
(now in the La Crosse Diocese) and finally back to Peshtigo.
On an August 1976 oral history, long forgotten in the diocesan archives, Bishop Grellinger can be heard going over the trail of the tabernacle with Msgr.
Bishop Grellinger was determined to find it.
travelled to Amherst in 1976 and, with the help of the pastor and parish members Albert and Katie Krutza, located an old tabernacle in the sacristy "on top of a high vesting case."
'Crudely made box'
Bishop Grellinger, describing his search in The Spirit newspaper (predecessor to The Compass in 1976, described the tabernacle as "a rather crudely made box" with a gilt-painted chalice on the door "which had lost all its luster and appears as dull brown."
In an October 1976 letter to Bishop Grellinger
, Mrs. Walter Konkle, who had been sacristan at Amherst from 1945 to 1973, confirmed that her husband had painted the tabernacle and the chalice on the door "sometime between 1949 -1951."