Bishop John E. Fitzmaurice
1900-1920 Continued Expansion
When word reached the Apostolic delegate in Washington, DC that Bishop Mullen had suffered a debilitating stroke, the Very Reverend John E. Fitzmaurice, the rector of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Philadelphia
was appointed to the Erie See in 1898.One year later, with the official resignation of Bishop Mullen he became the fourth Bishop of Erie.
twenty-one year tenure (1899-1920), he
first installed the bells in the tower of the Cathedral, larger marble altars and eventually the complete interior decoration of the principal church in the diocese.The cathedral was consecrated on May 17, 1911 with the Most Rev. Diomede Falcanio, the Apostolic Delegate presiding.