We setup hidden cameras inside the home of Jean Jacobson who's the treasurer of the MA Chimney Sweep Guild.
husband, who's a certified chimney sweep, made sure the chimney was clean and in good shape.
said, "There are unscrupulous companies coming in from out of state scamming people, I believe they're going to come in and tell me I need a chimney liner so I don't die from carbon monoxide poisoning."
The Energy Star Maintenance crew pulled up and headed inside.
They inspected the chimney, looked at the furnace and pipes and told Jacobson
there was a major problem with her
said the Energy Star Maintenance employee told her
tiles in her
chimney had collapsed and were causing a blockage.
"They said the interior is made of terracotta clay and that it's cracked and deteriorated and recommended re-lining the chimney.
When the I-Team caught up with the workers outside of Jacobson's home and tried to ask some questions they hopped in the van and took off.
They left a ladder and some expensive tools behind.
A representative from Energy Star Maintenance called Jean Jacobson and said the workers did nothing wrong.
A photo taken after the contractors left shows the inside of Jacobson's chimney.
There's no blockage, daylight can be seen shining through.
said most of these questionable companies cold call.
"No legitimate chimney sweep company will cold call, no legitimate chimney sweep company will charge you $45 to $55 for an inspection and a sweep that's what anyone should look for," Jacobson
biggest concern is this, "Loss of life.