(121 Total References)
Cloud Services | CCServe
According to James Staten, an analyst at Forrester, Google has been building its cloud offerings out for a while, but it has struggled to differentiate its products from its competitors.
"They continue to unveil some interesting things for developers, particularly those that are doing big data, which seems to be their only major differentiation as a cloud platform right now.
So, they're building on that," Staten
Joe Weinman .com -- Talks
Moderating the panel "Cloudonomics: The Value of the Cloud," with (left to right) Joe Tobolski, Senior Executive, Accenture; James Staten, Principal Analyst, Forrester; John Hagel, Author, Director and Co-Founder, Center for the Edge, Deloitte Consulting LLP; Will Forrest, Author, Clearing the Air on Cloud Computing, and Principal, McKinsey and Company; Greg Kaplan, Managing Director, BlueWolf.
ITBHUGlobal.org: The Chronicle: July 2007 Edition
"Supercomputers are constantly leapfrogging each other in terms of speed, and they are tuned for different types of calculations," said James Staten, analyst at Forrest Research, a high-tech market research firm.
And there will be customers for whom even that will not be enough, Staten
"There will always be problems that suck up all available computing power," Staten
"In the supercomputing field you can never have enough processor power, or memory."
noted that supercomputer vendors (which includes Sun Microsystems Fujitsu) don't give out prices since the machines are, typically, custom made for each buyer, but the average price is in the range of $50 million.
Designs are usually prepared when a vendor receives a "request for proposal" from a lab saying it wants a certain level of computational power by a certain date, Staten
The new machine is then announced with fanfare if an order comes in.
If the vendor is lucky, other labs will also decide to buy one, but in many cases a particular supercomputer model will have a market of exactly one machine for one customer.
By that standard, Blue Gene/P has already proven wildly popular-IBM has announced four orders, from labs in the US, Germany, and England.
The machines typically run a custom version of the Unix or Linux operating systems-or even a single-purpose piece of software intended to address the specific problem that the lab bought the machine to solve, Staten
Yesterday was the first day of ...
Yesterday was the first day of RightScale Compute 2013, our annual conference in San Francisco. (You can also read about Day Two.) The day kicked off with a keynote address by James Staten, vice president and principal analyst at Forrester, and a State of the Cloud report by RightScale CEO Michael Crandell (watch the video).
spoke to an audience of cloud developers, CIOs, and IT architects.
said Forrester research
indicates that 30 percent of developers are cloud developers, while the other 70 percent see cloud as not mature and don't use it yet.
called the cloud developers leaders, innovators, and risk-takers.
said that unlike the 70 percent of non-cloud developers, cloud developers tend to love their jobs more.
Forrester analyst James Staten led a session on cloud adoption.
related the story of one cloud customer whose average spend was $500 a month.
One month the bill shot up to $50,000.
The model-view-controller (MVC) architecture doesn't work in the cloud, Staten
Instead, use a pipes and filters model the take advantage of an agile architecture that allows changes in applications with components that scale out for cloud economics.
said, does this well, as does Instagram; LinkedIn
learned the hard way.
said time, componentization, service choice (meaning not provider, but cloud services), caching, and code optimization are the tools of cloud economics.
Forrester's James Staten
, acting as moderator, started things off by asking, "What kind of workloads are you bringing to cloud that you are struggling with, or maybe you think you can't even use cloud?
then asked the panelists whether pricing per unit will keep dropping.
Microsoft's Martin said, "We feel great about returning value to customers as prices continue to drop.
The market determines value and we're here to play in it.
followed up by asking how cloud providers can stay profitable.
began winding up the discussion by asking what is the future of applications in the cloud, and what should the audience plan and architect for?
Joining Staten for the final discussion of the day were panelists Jarrett Appleby, COO of CoreSite; Peder Ulander, vice president of product marketing for cloud platform at Citrix; and Scott Sanchez, director of private cloud strategy at Rackspace.
In this Ask the Expert, analysts ...
In this Ask the Expert, analysts James Staten of Forrester Research and Kyle Hilgendorf of Gartner Inc. talk about how the majority of companies don't have a cloud architect, but should.Continue Reading