is this you? Claim your profile.
is this you? Claim your profile.
+ Get 10 Free Contacts a Month
It's free and takes 30 seconds
New Haven County
North Haven Deputy
North Haven Fire Department
North Haven Deputy Fire Marshal
Frank Gersz is named the new deputy fire chief, replacing retired Deputy Fire Chief Jack Brockett.
"We got up to look; everyone got up to look (at the smoke) and then we saw the flames coming out the door," said Deputy Fire Chief Jack Brockett."This was a first for me, being at a picnic and looking across the street at a fire."The firefighters didn't look for long, instead rushing into the firehouse to don gear and then rushing to the restaurant, complete with a fire engine, Brockett said."We all just went right across the street," he said.There were about four people in the restaurant and five workers, who all left the building safely after the fire broke out just before 8 p.m., said Brockett.It took about 22 firefighters only 20 minutes to douse the blaze, which left "considerable" smoke damage to the restaurant at 369 Washington Ave., Brockett said.The restaurant opened within the past year at the site of the former Angelo's pizza restaurant.Brockett said he believes a short in a surge protector used for a computer monitor caused the fire.The computer monitor was in a storage room that "was fully involved" in flames by the time crews got across the street, Brockett said.The storage room also contained a desk and phone lines, Brockett said.There was no answer at the restaurant late Thursday and Brockett said it would be closed until the mess from the fire is cleaned up.He said the Health Department was informed of the blaze.At Zio Franco's, the menu boasts of chicken Florentine, fried calamari and other delectable dinners, its Web site says.But back at the firehouse, those uneaten lobsters awaited firefighters who had put in a night's work."We were sitting down to lobsters," Brockett lamented with a laugh, after the fire was out and the crustaceans had likely long been cold.
North Haven Deputy Fire Chief Jack Brockett was chairman of the poster contest for New Haven County.The pupils received awards and a $200 savings bond at a luncheon at the Holiday Inn in Cromwell.The Hamden High School Human Relations Club recently held a Prejudice Reduction Conference at Quinnipiac University and an all-day training session at ACES on Skiff Street in Hamden.The club then went to West Woods Elementary School in Hamden to teach grades kindergarten through six about racism and discrimination.The activities include role-playing and games.The club of more than 200 students is the high school's largest.
Deputy Chief Jack Brockett of the North Haven Fire Department said they received the call at 12:31 p.m."We found a 92-year-old female who was disoriented," Brockett said Friday."She was taken to (the Hospital of Saint Raphael) by AMR ambulance."Brockett declined to release the patient's name.Authorities later learned that the woman had been on the floor for at least two days.Neither McNamara nor North Haven Postmaster Bob Swol were available for comment on Friday, though in the news release, Swol said he was not surprised about McNamara's handling of the situation, calling her a credit to the Postal Service.
Two banquet halls in North Haven, La Mirage and Fantasia, fall below the state's square footage requirements for sprinklers, but they have fire alarms, emergency lighting and fire-rated walls, North Haven Deputy Fire Marshal Jack Brockett said.