One important capitalist back then was a Crawfordsville merchant, storekeeper and mill owner named Isaac Elston
.A figure in Crawfordsville history, Isaac Elston was a Democratic National Convention delegate in 1860; an Asbury (DePauw) University trustee and founder of Michigan City, where Elston High School has honored his name.
Well, when the C. & L. tracks left the easy going and reached a stopping place on the high land just south of Lafayette in 1851, the builders named the temporary terminal Elston Station or simply Elston.
Debate followed as to where to build the tracks next.Builders ended up putting the rails down into the Wabash River valley in Lafayette on Mississippi (now Fifth) Street.Before long the railroad also crossed the Wabash on a bridge and in a few years reached Lake Michigan where Isaac Elston's
new Michigan City
Back in Lafayette, however, a railroad depot at Mississippi (Fifth) and Salem opened in 1853 and snatched the freight and passenger business away from that short-term station up at Elston
So yes -- for a year or so -- a few houses and graded roads did develop around Elston
.There was a post office, the naming of Elston Road and whatnot.
never grew into anything bigger than a little buddy of Lafayette; nothing more than a place on that high land to the southwest.To this day some call it Elston
, some Elston Station, some Elston Heights.