Fetter House in Landisburg was built in 1848 by Henry Fetter
and was deeded to the Historical Society of Perry County
in 1974. (Joya Ellertson/Special to The Sentinel)
The Greek Revival structure, which dates back to 1848, was bequeathed to the historical society by Marjorie Fetter Goossens, the great-great-granddaughter of the original owner, Henry Fetter
...During the years from 1821 through 1859, Henry Fetter served as a merchant and military and political leader.
As a merchant, Fetter
own store as well as others in fledgling Perry County.Fetter
was a brigadier general in the 11th Division of the Pennsylvania Militia, a brigadier general in the Perry County Militia and major general in the 15th Division.He was the second postmaster of Landisburg and a county auditor.He also served a three-year term as a Pennsylvania state senator.
Brought back craftsmen
When Henry Fetter
resided in the mansion, the imposing brick structure enjoyed an architectural growth not afforded to other homes of the period.On his
supply trips to Philadelphia and Baltimore, Fetter
found talented craftsmen that he
brought back to Landisburg
.It is said that the ornate staircase found in the home, with its elongated oval design and near perfect symmetry, was built by a derelict architect.Fetter was a collector of clocks, from sturdy handcrafted grandfather designs to 18th century watches.
After the death of Henry Fetter
in 1863, the mansion remained in the family until it was transferred to the historical society by Marjorie Goossens.
...The Historical Society of Perry County credits K. Edward Lay, Cary D. Langhorne professor emeritus of architecture at the University of Virginia, with providing considerable details regarding his ancestor, Henry Fetter.
The historic legacy of Gen.Fetter
is found on every level of the brick mansion, from the soft bricks made on the site, which still bear their batch numbers, to the attic where Fetter family keepsakes rest peacefully with Pennsylvania archives and colonial records.
E-mail this story