graduated in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (1957) and Physics (1959) at University of São Paulo
Obtained the PhD degree at USP in 1962.
Was professor of physics at USP from 1958 to 1975 and full professor since 1975.
From 1958 until 1979 at the Physics Department of the Faculty of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters FFCL.
At the beginning of 1970 was nominated Pro Tempore Director of the newly created Institute of Physics of USPÍFUSP
, at the time of the University Reorganization, being responsible for Implantation if IFUSP
Was head of the Experimental Physics Department of IFUSP in various occasions; deputy director of the Astronomy and Geophysics Institute of USP from 1979 to 1982;
Research Associate at Physics Department of the University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign Campus
(USA) from 1963 to 1966 (Fulbright travel Grant recipient); Visiting Researcher (as a recipient of the first British Council
"Queen Scholarship" (for Brazil) at the University of Liverpool (UK) from 1970 to 1971; coordinator of the Exact Science Division of the Brazilian National Research Council
(CNPq) from 1981 to 1983;
Director of Scientific and Industrial Metrology at the Brazilian National Institute for Metrology, Standardization and Industrial Quality (INMETRO) from 1990 to 1991; Brazilian Member of the International Committee for Weights and Measures CIPM (18 member Governing Board of the Meter Convention), in Paris (France) from 1995 to 2007, being its Vice-President from 2002 to 2007, and President of the Consultative Committee for Ionizing Radiation (CCRI/CIPM) from 1995 to 2007.