is this you? Claim your profile.
is this you? Claim your profile.
Southwestern Baptist University
+ Get 10 Free Contacts a Month
It's free and takes 30 seconds
Chesley's daughter, Fannie, was married to George Savage, founder of the school.
After the program, Savage announced he had been elected president of Southwestern Baptist University and was resigning from Eagleville School.
Notable resident George Savage graduated from Union University in Murfreesboro in 1871 and arrived in Eagleville in 1884.
He established Savage School, an excellent chartered four-year college and preparatory school.
In 1884 Dr. George Savage opened his own school in this building.
It was called "Eagleville School" but was known in the area as "The Savage School". SAVAGE SCHOOL - Professor George M. Savage came to Eagleville in 1884. He was born near Rienzi, Mississippi in 1849 and received his early education in schools near his father's home. In 1871 he graduated from Union University which at that time was located in Murfreesboro and in the same year he married Miss Fannie Williams, daughter of Chesley Williams of Eagleville. Professor Savage taught at Henderson Masonic Male and Female Institute in Henderson, Tennessee from 1871-1877 and again for 1880-1884. During his years at Henderson, he worked on his Master's degree and received it from Union University in 1874. Professor Savage began his school in the old Male and Female Academy on the second Monday in January 1884. During the seven years the Male and Female Academy had existed, the board members struggled with all sorts of problems due to the lack of public interest in education. The building was in need of repair, problems with the teaching staff, the term was short because the money ran out and not all the board members sent their children to the school. The public was not sold on the business of education. Professor Savage faced a lot of problems upon his arrival to be head of the Eagleville School. On May 7, 1884, Professor Savage submitted a plan for a new schoolhouse to the board. Professor Savage, wishing to operate a school within the financial reach of the greatest number of people, set the tuition fees as follows: First and Second grades - $10. Third, fourth and fifth grades - $15. Sixth through first collegiate year - $20.00. Second, third and fourth years in college - $25.00 Some of the teaching personnel for the year 1888-1891, Professor Savage taught English, Hebrew, Mental and Moral Science; Miss M. A. Cason taught Latin, French and Education; S. M. Bain taught Natural Sciences; Miss Evie Franklin, taught Greek and German. After the exercises, Professor George Savage announced that he had been unanimously elected president of Southwest Baptist University and would resign from the Eagleville School. This came as a shock to the community.
George M. Savage was born February 5, 1849 in Rienzi, Mississippi and graduated from Union University at Murfreesboro in 1871.He married Fannie Williams, a daughter of Chesley Williams.He came to Eagleville in 1884 and opened the Salvage School in the old Male and Female Academy in January 1884.It was located where the Eagleville Baptist Church is now located.A new school building was built and ten small buildings were built for housing.The school offered classes from first grade through the fourth year of college.In the college department there were 5 teachers in the 1888-89 school year.There were 178 pupils enrolled in college in 1887-88.In 1890 Dr Savage was elected president of the Southwestern Baptist University and resigned.His school was still operating in 1904.
Their daughter, Fannie Forrester Williams married Professor George Martin Savage of Murfreesboro, who brought higher education to the Eagleville community.
In 1884 Dr. Savage became the principal of the Male and Female Academy. Dr. Savage remained in Eagleville six years. He established one of the best schools to be found anywhere; even the city schools of Tennessee were no better than the Eagleville School. According to the late Scott Williams, brother of Dr. E. L. Williams, " the Eagleville School was good because George Martin Savage, was often referred to as the most thoughtful man in the world and one of the South's fore most educators. On June 4, 1890, the trustees of the Eagleville School were present for commencement exercises. After the exercises, Dr. George M. Savage announced that he had been unanimously elected president of Southwestern Baptist University and would resign from the Eagleville School. Dr. George Savage