This profile was last updated on //
Is this you? Claim your profile.
(2 Total References)
Oregon150 » Oregon Stories
www.oregon150.org, 23 Nov 2009 [cached]
Edwin Napper Tandy was born in Christian County, Kentucky and remained there until he reached manhood.
He received a good education in the schools of the state, and at age 19 commenced reading law under the prominent attorneys Grey & Knight.
Mr. Tandy made such rapid progress that at age twenty-one, he was admitted to the Kentucky Bar.
He immediately began a law practice in the town of Hopkinsville in the year of 1851.
According to family lore I picked up at the TANDY family reunions held every year here in Oregon, he decided to "come west" and sailed around the Horn, through storms and high seas, bringing his rocking chair and his law books.
It was 1854.
Emigrating to California, he went into the mines, and as the story goes, "met with tolerable success".
By now, it was 1857.
came to Oregon and purchased a farm in Lane County, near Junction City.
succeeded well, rapidly improving the land, building good buildings and fences.
In 1862, he was appointed Judge of Lane county by Governor Whiteaker, to fill an unexpired term.
In 1868, he
was elected to the Oregon Legislature, serving his
time with credit to his
party and himself.
In 1870, he
moved to Harrisburg and opened a law office.
In 1871, he was elected Mayor of the City of Harrisburg; in 1872, he was elected County Judge of Linn county, a position he held for four years.
Through all his
long official career, he
duty and won the respect and confidence of all.
www.linncountyroots.com, 12 April 2006 [cached]
Edwin N. Tandy.
Born in Christian Co., Ky. Emigrated to California in 1854.
To Oregon in 1857.
Admitted to the practice of law in Kentucky, 1850.
Practiced law at Hopkinsville, Ky., and Harrisburg, Oregon.
Mayor of Harrisburg, Ore., 1871.
County Judge, Linn County, 1872-1876.
Member of Oregon Legislature 1868.
His biography published in "Illustrated Atlas Map of Marion & Linn Counties" Edgar Williams & Co., San Francisco, 1878.