According to Norway Fire Chief Dennis Yates, the fire was an accidental cooking fire.
The only person to be home at the time of the fire was the homeowners'son, whom Yates
believed to be about 20 years old.
did not know exactly what the resident was cooking.
The resident was not injured, but Yates'
understanding is that one of the family's dogs was killed in the fire.
The fire started about in the early afternoon, and was brought under control by firefighters by 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
said that the damage from the fire resulted in a total loss of the home.
"It just burned so hot and so fast that we didn't have time to do much of anything," said Yates
Compounding the firefighting effort was a lack of available water, fire officials said throughout the ordeal.
continued by saying that operations on the scene of the fire had to be suspended because of the heavy rain and lightening storm that occurred that evening.
"We have a couple of what they call dry hydrants near the area, and what happens at this time of year is that they get algae in them, and it clogs up our strainers," said Yates
A secondary power line that connected to the home burned off the side of the house, according to Yates
The power line was down and in the road, blocking many of the emergency service vehicles.
"We could get one vehicle in, that was it, but it hindered our operation because they couldn't cross over the power line," Yates
The power line was finally removed around 2:15 p.m.
In Yates's final statement about the fire, he
understands that accidents happen.