is this you? Claim your profile.
is this you? Claim your profile.
+ Get 10 Free Contacts a Month
It's free and takes 30 seconds
At least five people were hurt when policemen tried to serve the Sandiganbayan suspension order on Mayor Carlito Reyes of Bustos. The police served the suspension order in response to a memorandum by de la Cruz asking that they serve the order, so Reyes could comply with the rules of the Commission on Elections. On Friday, de la Cruz issued memorandum GO-2004-42 ordering the suspension pendente lite of Mayor Reyes in accordance with a Sandiganbayan resolution that was passed on April 13. The news of Reyes's suspension quickly spread throughout the town, and hundreds of his supporters thronged to the town on Friday hall to prevent policemen from serving the order and ejecting Reyes. Violence erupted when policemen, who tried to storm the town hall armed with wooden batons at around 5:20 p.m. on Monday, destroyed the glass on the hall's main entrance as Reyes's avid supporters resisted the incoming police officers. But Reyes voluntarily, but tearfully, stepped down after the clash and walked directly to his car.As he was slowly being driven, his followers walked behind the vehicle all the way to his house in Barangay Talampas.
In Bustos town, the Mendozas' rule was cut short to 12 years by a newcomer in the person of Mayor Carlito Reyes.
BUSTOS, Bulacan:: Daycare-center workers here slammed Mayor Carlito Reyes of this town for refusing to release their allowances since October last year allegedly because they were linked to the mayor's political opponent.But Reyes denied any political motive and said the town hall could not release the workers' allowances because their appointments were expired and their qualifications are questionable.Reyes also raised the volunteers' allowances when he defeated Mendoza in 2001.Since August, however, Reyes refused to release the volunteers' allowances when he reassumed office after a two-month suspension.In a telephone interview on Monday, Reyes denied the political angle on the case of the daycare workers, but asked "bakit doon sila lumalapit sa kalaban ko," alluding to the Mendoza family."Their appointments are expired since 2003," Reyes said in a telephone interview, adding that some of the daycare-center workers had not even completed high school.But de Guzman asked that if they were unqualified, then why are their former wards in the top 10 of their elementary classes.In their complaint filed before the provincial board, the daycare-center workers said some of their colleagues received their allowances after assuring Reyes that they would support him.
With the local government unit's ongoing plans to address the long-term needs of the residents, Bustos Mayor Carlito Reyes is happy that humanitarian groups like Operation Blessing reach out and help his people in this time of great need."We are deeply thankful to Operation Blessing for their kindness, because I believe that we cannot do this alone.I hope that you continue your good work not only here but in other places," shares Mayor Reyes. For Maryjane and her six children, the ration of food they received from OB is a sign that there is still hope amidst the tragedy.
Bustos town Mayor Carlito "Toti" Reyes is already on his 3rd and last term.
He is seeking a "4th term" on the basis of a Comelec legal division's opinion that he can still run because his 3 terms were interrupted by several suspension orders. "On the ground na four times akong nasuspinde, ang 4 times na pagkakaroon ng interruption sa aking panunungkulan bilang punong bayan," Reyes told ABS-CBN News in an interview, quoting the Comelec legal division's opinion. Reyes's case was brought to ABS-CBN's attention by a Boto Patroller in Bustos town. The Boto Patroller said the local Comelec office should not have allowed Reyes to file his certificate for candidacy in the first place. The resolution disqualified Reyes from the mayoralty race in Bustos town. Ferrer said that Reyes cannot run for a 4th term because local chief executives are allowed only to serve for 3 consecutive terms. The Comelec official, however, said Reyes can still campaign for the May 10 elections because the 2nd Division's resolution was still not final. Reyes, whose name has been included in official ballots for the May 10 automated elections, said that he is planning to eventually appeal the 2nd Division's resolution before the Supreme Court.