Lawyer Asis Perez, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) national director, said tuna fishing companies based in this city have already deployed 14 catcher vessels into the Pocket 1 of the western Pacific Ocean's high seas since it was reopened to Philippines-based fishing vessels in September last year.
"We have 14 vessels operating in the area right now.
That (number) would have been 20 already if not for typhoon Pablo," he
said in an interview.
said six of the tuna catcher vessels that resumed operations in the area last year had went missing and were presumed to have sunk following the onslaught of typhoon "Pablo" off Mindanao's eastern seaboard last Dec. 4.
said they were hoping that local tuna fishing companies would be able to fill up their 36-vessel quota within the year.
"Our main consideration in meeting that quota is the additional catch of around 50,000 MT that we will get there.
Based on our assessment, each vessel deployed there could produce around 20 tons of tuna on a good day," he