East Grinstead Photographers
Co. (Edgar Kinsey) - Alfred Francis (Alfred Gear) - Arthur Harding - William Harding - Alec Johnson - David Kennedy
At 22 Railway Approach, to the left of Edgar Kinsey's shop, is the business premises of William Major, watchmaker. (This shop was previously owned by watchmaker and photographer, Arthur Harding).
Watchmaker and part-time photographer Arthur Harding, previously occupied the shop next door at 22 Glen Vue Road.
It is possible that either his cousin or his neighbour Arthur Harding
encouraged Edgar Kinsey to take up photography.
Kelly's Directory of Sussex record Arthur Harding
as a watchmaker at 22 Glen Vue Road, East Grinstead
between 1899 and 1905.
In Kelly's Directory of 1905, the jeweller's shop at 22 Glen Vue Road had passed to brothers Rowland and Frederick Winser. (After 1906, Glen Vue Road was known as Railway Approach).
On 12th September 1900, at Paddington in London, (Edwin) Arthur Harding
married Gertrude Mary(May) Jago (born1876, Wanstead, Essex), the daughter of Mary Ann and James Thomas Jago, a London-born ironmonger.
and Gertrude Harding's marriage produced two daughters, but following his "misconduct" with a teenaged domestic servant named Amy Truckle, the couple divorced sometime after 1905.
There is evidence that Arthur Harding was taking photographs during the time he was working as a watchmaker and jeweller in East Grinstead (1899-1906).
It would be expected that Arthur
would have received lessons in photography from his father William Harding.
A number of photographs taken by Arthur Harding
can be dated to around 1900.
One photograph by Arthur Harding
depicts an old windmill on East Grinstead Common and this derelict post mill was demolished in 1900.
Another photograph showing a scene from the Urban District Election of 1901 is stamped on the reverse " A. Harding, watchmaker &., Glen View Road (sic)".
appears to have departed from East Grinstead
By 1911, Arthur Harding
had returned to the East Grinstead area and he
was on hand to record the displays and processions which took place in the town on 22nd June 1911 to celebrate the Coronation of King George V.
When the First World war broke out in 1914, Arthur Harding
was forty-five years of age, but as a member of the the local Territorial Army unit, he
did not hesitate to enlist.
served in the 4th Rifle Brigade of the Royal Sussex Regiment and saw action at Gallipoli in 1915.
was back in East Grinstead
to photograph the Peace Day Parade which passed through the town on 19th July 1919.
In the 1920s, Arthur Harding
moved from East Grinstead
lived at 65 Hollingbury Road, Brighton and in the early 1930s he
was still earning a living as a watchmaker.
On 24th January 1931, at the Weslyan Chapel
, Arthur Harding
married thirty-seven year old Alice Maud Sippetts of 101 Ditchling Road, Brighton.
would have been 61 years of age at the time of his
!n 1934, Arthur Harding and his new wife moved to Newbury, Berkshire, where he continued to work as a watchmaker.
Arthur served as an ARP (Air Raid Precautions) warden in Newbury during the Second World War.
On the death certificate, (Edwin) Arthur Harding's
occupation is given as "Watchmaker".
[ABOVE] The Queens Road Cemetery Chapels at West Hill, East Grinstead, photographed by Arthur Harding (c1900)
[ABOVE] A portrait of (Edwin) Arthur Harding
Another portrait of Arthur Harding
ARP badge, photographed in Newbury, Berkshire, towards the end of his
life, is held by the East Grinstead Town Museum
[ABOVE] Forest Row Village Hall photographed by Arthur Harding (c1904)
[ABOVE] The shop of Young & Sons, grocers & provisions merchants
, at 39 High Street, East Grinstead photographed by Arthur Harding
shop front is decorated with flags to celebrate the Coronation of King George V in June 1911.
Over 140 photographs of East Grinstead
attributed to either Arthur Harding
or his father William Harding can be viewed at the West Sussex Past Pictures website.
Co. ( Edgar Kinsey ) - Alfred Francis ( Alfred Gear) - Arthur
& William Harding - Alec Johnson - David Kennedy