"You can burn your skin, you can burn your hair, the candle can perforate the eardrum," said Dr Ahmad Alamadi, the head of the ear, nose and throat department at Al Baraha Hospital in Dubai.
One patient needed surgery days after having the treatment last year.
hearing was reduced to 50 per cent, Dr Alamadi
"I saw her
ears completely blocked, but from the candle wax," he
"The candle itself melted and went down the canal.
It solidified and packed the whole ear.
was lucky it didn't burn the eardrums."
After administering general anaesthesia on the patient, Dr Alamadi
took about two hours to scoop out "about three to four cubic centimetres of wax".
"Trying to avoid damaging the skin of the canal was tricky work.
It wasn't fun," he
urged the Ministry of Health to follow the examples of the United States and Canada, which have banned the practice.